Be Aware, Be Informed, Be Prepared with Emergency Products from Apogee Communications Group
We now distribute a line of emergency preparedness products including the the NukAlert-Extended Range(ER) Personal Radiation Detector and NukAlert keychain radiation detector . The NukAlert-ER is a simple to use, low cost, Geiger counter, survey meter, and dosimeter all in a compact package. Unlike many higher priced Personal Radiation Detectors, the NukAlert-ER Geiger counter measures radiation from µR/hr background levels to above 600R/hr with no saturatiuon below 1,000 R/hr. The NukAlert-ER Geiger counter is a Personal Emergency Radiation Detector (PRD) that also sends data through the Windows App.
The NukAlert-ER radiation detector comes with a downloadable Windows application. The NukAlert-ER is in use by local, state, and federal agencies including the Dept. of Defense, Homeland Security, and ICE. Our products are available for purchase by local, state, and federal agencies under GSA Schedule 84. Our products are also available to the public.
The NukAlert Data Gateway connects the NukAlert-ER Geiger counter to a HDTV display for visual radiation readings and audible audio alerts. The Gateway can send data to multiple Internet databases including the RadResponder Network.
NukAlert-ER™ Geiger Counter
The NukAlert-ER™ is a new and unique 'Extended Range' radiation detection instrument. It is a very sensitive Geiger counter that is also able to measure life-threatening radiation levels that are beyond the range of traditional Geiger- based devices. The NukAlert-ER accurately measures radiation over an extraordinary intensity range from 1µR/hr to 600R/hr. with no saturation below 1,000R/hr. It is a very sensitive Geiger counter, high range survey meter and a dosimeter, all in one instrument, with data collection, communications capability and adjustable dose and rate alarms. The ER is manufactured by an US company with more than 15 years experience in producing radiation detection devices.
Traditional Geiger counters sized for high sensitivity are adequate to measure background radiation levels, but are inherently incapable of measuring the life threatening levels possible from a power plant catastrophe, dirty bomb, Improvised Nuclear Device (IND) or nuclear attack. Unlike the NukAlert-ER™, the "dead time" of traditional Geiger counter circuits cause some sensitive interdiction counters to become inoperative above radiation levels of about 10mR/hr (a level which may be a long term health risk, but is far below immediately life-threatening).
The NukAlert-Extended Range™ Geiger counter uses sophisticated high-voltage control circuitry and performs statistical analysis of the pulses from the Geiger tube to enable radiation measurement over an intensity range from 1 uR/hr to 600R/hr. This technique is referred to as "Time to First Count" in radiation detection textbooks. The result is a single device that can be used as a sensitive Geiger counter, survey meter and dosimeter. Its wide dynamic range facilitates the location of shelter, aids decontamination of people, allows preliminary evaluation of food, and measures windblown fallout from distant sources.
The NukAlert-ER™ can locate the source of radiation quickly through its numeric readout, audible alert, and bright flashing light to determine if you are in a life threatening situation.The NukAlert-ER helps emergency responders to determine if a scene is safe.
- Will not saturate and give false or no readings in high levels of radiation
- Geiger counter, Survey Meter, and Dosimeter in one instrument
- Excellent linearity over 9 decades of radiation intensity
- Measures Dose rate, Accumulated Dose, Count Rate, and Time Remaining to preset dose
- Audio and visual alarms for Dose rate and Accumulated Dose
- Stores 500 time-stamped measurements at selected intervals in memory
- Periodic wake-up mode allows long term (up to 1 year) monitoring by battery power
- Continuous or stored readings by USB to any computer with free open source software
- Powered by common AA batteries (Alkaline or Rechargeable), or USB cable
- Roentgen or Sievert units
- Back Lighted Display
- Battery Gauge
- Intuitive, easy-to-use menu operation
- System Self-Tests
- USB Port
- USB cord and belt carrying case included
- Windows App included
- Size & Weight: 135mm x 70mm x 25mm, 165g
- Range: 1uR to 600R/hr.
- No saturation below 1000R/hr
- Accuracy (Cs137): ± 20%, background through 600R/hr
- Power source: 2ea AA alkaline or NiMH cells, or USB
- Designed to meet ANSI N42.33 specifications
- Battery Life: (2600 mAh Alkaline battery)
- Up to 65hrs at background count rate, 24hrs above 100mR/hr
- Up to 1 year in periodic monitor mode
- Up to 3 years sleep mode
- Data access by: Display, USB.
- Display: 2 line x 16 character backlit LCD
- Environment: -20°C to +65°C, 0 to 95% humidity (noncondensing)
- Pressure Altitude to 0.5 atm
- Geiger system: Active electronic quenching
- High rate system: Time To First Count (TTFC)
- Tube Voltage: Adjustable by software up to 1000V
- Geiger tube: Supplied with LND 7121 Geiger tube, Other tubes available as options
- Compensation: Optional Sn/Cu
- Gamma Sensitivity: 18 counts/sec @ 1mR/hr (10µSv/hr)
- Background: <10 counts/minute (Shielded)
- Beta sensitivity: Through front window above 200KeV
- Rapid, sudden radiation change response time accuracy : 2 seconds at 10mR/hr within ± 25%
- Unlimited over range indication
- Selectable Rate alarm thresholds:
- uR/hr: 10,20, 25, 30, 50, 100, 200, 250, 300, 500
- mR/hr: 1 , 2, 3, 5, 10, 20, 25, 30, 50, 100, 200, 250, 300, 500
- R/hr: 1, 2, 2.5, 3, 5, 10, 20, 25, 30, 50, 100, 200, 250, 300, 500, 1000
- Selectable Dose alarm thresholds:
- uR: 100,200, 250, 300, 500
- mR: 1, 2, 2.5, 3, 5, 10, 20, 25, 30, 50, 100,200, 250, 300, 500
- R/hr: 1, 2, 2.5, 3, 5, 10, 20, 25, 30, 50, 100,200, 250, 300
- Both rate and dose alarm sound after their respective threshold is crossed and may be temporarily silenced (snoozed) by pressing the OK button.
Snooze periods for rate and dose alarms:
5 minutes below 1mR/hr
3 minutes between 1mR/hr and 1R/hr
1 minute 1 R/hr and above
•The rate and dose alarms operate independently and concurrently.
• Both rate and dose alarms will resume sounding after the snooze period and may be re-snoozed indefinitely.
The new NukAlert Automated Fallout Measurement Station is roof mounted and can send data to up to multiple user selectable databases, such as the RadResponder Network, with real time radiation readings. The NukAlert Automated Fallout Station (AFS) also accomplishes Task 5.5 of the Rad Resilient City Initiative. The AFS station can also provide the data needed to shut down HVAC systems on buildings when a user defined radiation level is reached. The AFS is an inexpensive device that can save employees lives and protect building contents from potentially deadly radiation in the event of a Improvised Nuclear Device (IND) detonation. The AFS is a perfect system for government buildings, data centers, hospitals, school, corporate buildings, office buildings, public shelters, and other critical buildings.
Commercial and institutional buildings can provide life saving temporary shelter from radioactive fallout caused by a terrorist attack or power plant catastrophe.
It is imperative in such events for ventilation systems to be immediately closed off, and for authorities to know which locations require sheltering and which may be evacuated.
This is the function of the NukAlert Automated Fallout Measurement Station.
It is a simple, inexpensive, roof mounted fixture for continuous internet monitoring of radioactive fallout intensity.
The Fallout Measurement Station can interact with a building's HVAC system to initiate the automatic shutdown of building outside air intakes at the first sign of increased radiation from any source.
Not only does this protect building occupants, but it can also prevent radioactive dust from being distributed through the ventilation system, and rendering the building permanently uninhabitable.
The NukAlert Gateway Data Hub connects to the NukAlert-ER radiation detector and can output radiation readings in large numbers to a HDTV, computer screen, and multiple web databases including the RadResponder Network. The Gateway can also send a signal through the BACnet to control air intake to HVAC systems when a user defined radiation level is reached.
Live Radiation Map Example
A Renowned Radiation Expert's Review of the NukAlert-ER Geiger counter
“As documented in my recent book ACTIONS FOR SURVIVAL, First-Responders and the public alike can safely endure brief high levels of radiation exposure to save both themselves and others.
Unfortunately most available instruments are designed for low-level detection and are incapable of reading the much higher, truly life-threatening but manageable, radiation levels.
Without appropriate instruments First-Responders will be pulled back too far to do much good, and those in affected areas won't know if they have 10 hours or 10 minutes to evacuate safely.
NukAlert-ER is the first affordable 'Extended Range' radiation detection instrument that provides seamless coverage, from uR/hr background measurement to life threatening levels up to 600R/hr.
Throughout my over 60 year nuclear career, if I could have had only one instrument to assure my personal safety, the NukAlert-ER 'Extended Range' is exactly what I would have wanted. It will be a life-saver for both First-Responders and the public.”
Allen Brodsky, Sc.D., CHP, CIH, Diplomate, American Board of Radiology, Adjunct Professor of Radiation Science, Georgetown University
- Senior Scientist at Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC), McLean, VA.
- Senior Health Physicist at U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), Washington, DC
- Tech Director Radiation Medicine Unit, PBU Hospital, managed plutonium contaminated patients
- Radiation Hazards Physicist at U.S. Atomic Energy Commission (AEC), Washington, D.C.
- Physicist, Radef Officer at Federal Civil Defense Administration, training responders in fallout
- Physicist, 2nd H Bomb Test at Bikini Atoll measuring prompt neutron spectra & dose vs. distance
- Physicist, 1st H Bomb Test at Enewetak Atoll measuring prompt gamma radiation signals
- Head, Health Physics Unit at Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, D.C
Apogee Communications Group produces and markets award winning health and safety patient education DVDs for consumers and institutions including; Infant & Toddler Emergency First Aid- Volumes 1 & 2, Heart Disease & Women–Awareness & Treatment, Sudden Cardiac Arrest, Heart Disease - Prevention, Heart Disease - Detection, Heart Disease - Treatment, Pet Emergency First Aid- Dogs, Pet Emergency First Aid - Cats, Pet Emergency First Aid - Dogs Working Dogs - Pets and Emergency Preparedness – Awareness & Survival.
Apogee's DVDs are in homes, first aid classes, schools, military, law enforcement agancies and libraries worldwide and are used by doctors and health care institutions.
View our award winning health and safety videos: Apogee Health & Safety DVDs
Be Prepared, Be Informed, and be Prepared for unexpected events before they occur.